Glascock II Cemetery

Name of cemeteryGlascock II Cemetery
CaretakerNick Franz
Location of cemetery6912 Old Bee Caves Road, Oak Hill, Texas
400 feet behind Oak Hill Body & Paint
512-288-4123
Driving directions290W South of Oak Hill. Turn right on Old Bee Caves Rd.
.1 mile past Oak Hill Cemetery and .3 mile on right side of road.
AppearanceFenced, maintained, well preserved
Approximately 66 X 40 feet
Date transcribed2007
TranscribersGregory & Nancy Glasscock
Telephone254-780-9047, 254-722-5911, 254-913-0223

Glascock II Cemetery is located off Old Bee Caves Road past Oak Hill Cemetery. It sits directly behind Oak Hill Body & Paint on private property. The business owner has taken good care of the cemetery over the years and will allow entry for visitation during normal business hours with advance notice. There are eight marked and two unmarked graves inside a cedar post fence. Numerous cedar trees and irises add to the beauty of this historical family cemetery.

William D. Glascock was Oak Hill’s original settler in about 1846. His burial is believed to be the first in this cemetery in 1853 although no marker exists. There is one other unmarked grave alongside his and is believed to be his wife Salina Glascock Nichols.

William was born in Pittsylvania County, Virginia about 1815. He is the son of Thomas Glascock and Sarah Finney Coleman. His lineage dates to colonial Northern Neck Virginia where the Glasscock ancestral home “Indian Banks” completed in 1699 still stands. He is descended from original American colonist Thomas Glascocke who received his first land patent in 1642, Rappahannock County, Virginia.

William D. Glascock first visited Texas about 1835 while living in Alabama. Following the death of his first wife he married Salina Anne Chambless in Alabama in 1837. The couple migrated from Madison County, Alabama in late 1837 with daughter Anne Elizabeth to Bastrop County near Sandy Creek on 640 acres. About 1844 the family settled along north of Williamson Creek in a pecan grove in what is now Oak Hill.

He and Salina had six children: Anne Elizabeth, Thomas Anderson, Leman Pike, Francis Marion, William S., and Louiza “Nannie” Nancy. The land on which the cemetery is situated remained in the family about 100 years. William D. was deeded an additional 320 acres adjacent to his land by his uncle Dr. Thomas Anderson in 1850. He also owned other acreage in Oak Hill, Bastrop, Austin, and Walker County, TX.

William D. Glascock was a Bastrop Volunteer in the Republic of Texas militia and served in the Battle of Vasquez in 1842. It is believed that William D. fought in the Battle of San Jacinto alongside his cousin Washington Anderson. But, as with many men who fought the day of the Battle, no official record exists to substantiate this oral recorded history. William had two brothers Zebulon Pike and Thomas G. Glascock.

After William died Salina married Wiley B. Nichols in 1857. The couple had two children, Rufus Shaw and Mary Nichols, who are both buried in Fiskville Cemetery in Austin, Texas. Salina died about 1877.

William’s son Francis “Frank” Marion and wife Mahala Tombaugh farmed this land until Frank’s death in 1922. Frank was a Civil War Veteran, Travis County Commissioner, Justice of Peace of Oak Hill, school board trustee and a Mason in Onion Lodge #220. His wife Mahala was born in Indiana, migrated to Texas from Michigan and her family was Pennsylvania Dutch descent. Mahala was the last burial in the cemetery in 1941. She and Frank had twelve children: Laura, William Marion, Selinah N., Albert Peter, Francis Walter, Russell Aubrey, Daisy Mae, Belt, Bell Reed, Ruth “Allison”, Virgil Earl, and Arthur Coleman. Albert and Belt’s headstones were carved by an American Indian.

Glascock II Cemetery was designated by The Texas Historical Commission in 1998. A marker has not been erected due to strict regulations requiring twenty-four hour public access.

NAMEDATE OF BIRTHDATE OF DEATHNOTE
Glascock, Albert P.March 10, 1874June 02, 1895 
Glascock, BeltMarch 04, 1883April 04, 1883 
Glascock, Francis W.February 04, 1876November 23, 1879 
Glascock, LauraAugust 15, 1867June 03, 1894 
Glascock, Francis MarionOctober 15, 1843December 22, 1922(2 stones)
Glascock Frank  Co. C. 6th Reg. Inf. C. S. A
Glascock, Mahala(Feb. 07) 1847(Jul. 11) 1941 
Johnson, MarindaJanuary 19, 1843July 01, 1931(Sister of Mahala)
Tombaugh, Peter(June 14) 1814(Dec. 25) 1891(Father of Mahala)
    
Two unmarked   
Glascock, William D.18151853 
Glascock-Nichols, Salina18181877 abt.